The original title for this episode was “How I Sell Books”–but as it turned out, I had a lot more to say about the self-publishing process than I thought. So this time I’m going over how I get my books ready for publication and upload them to Amazon and other book-sellers. I’ll address the subject of marketing in the next episode so I can give it all the time it needs.
Some of the stuff I’ll be tackling in this show:
- Do people judge books by their covers? (Spoiler: Of course they do. Let’s be honest, did anyone really think that proverb was going to do any good?)
- More importantly, should you design your own covers? (It is possible! And human sacrifice is not required! I mean, it helps, but…)
- Is print dead? (*pokes print nervously with a stick, then hides behind the couch* I think it moved. Meep.)
- Wide or KDP Select? (If you have no idea what the heck that means, then you’re not neck-deep in the minutiae of indie-publishing yet, and I envy you. *pounds head on desk repeatedly*)
- How high should you price your books? (a.k.a. Who wants to be a hundredaire? If you don’t, then quit giving your books away every two seconds, you foolish person.)
Resources mentioned in this podcast:
Free stock photos for cover design:
Cheap royalty-free Photoshop brushes:
One thing I neglected to go over in this ep is how to price paperbacks. OH THE GUILT. Don’t worry, I’ll take a few minutes to talk about that next time.
Also, if you hear background noise, it’s my new Golden Retriever puppy, Muffin. Bask in her cuteness.
The next FF episode, “How I Sell Books,” will be released on April 11.
You can support the podcast on Patreon for as little as $1 a month, and get worksheets pertaining to each episode. More awesome rewards for patrons on the way!
Newsletter Signup: http://eepurl.com/cHwAHT